Today’s blog is about a sensitive topic, so we begin with a warning. We will be discussing a concept known as “Rule 34” and how it applies to gaming.
This topic revolves around pornography, and while this may be uncomfortable to read, the information here is essential.
We recommend that you read this one on your own, not in a public space, to protect innocent eyes.
Please note that we will not be linking to any pornography in the article, but we can’t control what other articles that we link to might have links to. So be aware of where you are clicking.
What Is Rule 34?
Rule 34 is an internet theory that “if the subject exists, there is porn on that subject.” It originally began as a response to depicted sexual acts between cartoon characters.
Since then, Rule 34 has been referenced in television shows and has even become a verb all on its own.
Rule 34 is not unique to Fortnite. However, with the popularity of Fortnite as a game, as an eSport, and as a pop-culture trend, many gamers have started referencing the Fortnite Rule 34.
Does Rule 34 Apply to All eSports?
Though it may make you uncomfortable, yes, the rule exists for all eSports. After all, the definition of Rule 34 is that porn exists for all topics.
That said, some topics are more likely to become the subject of porn than others.
For example, games like Fortnite and Overwatch feature female characters. Female characters are usually the subjects of gaming-related porn, so they are more likely to be the subject of Rule 34 than games like Rocket League, where the players are cars.
However, since the whole idea of Rule 34 is that it covers all topics, even Rocket League isn’t immune.
Often these images and even videos are produced by gamers just trying to get a laugh out of their friends and fellow gamers, but that they exist certainly falls under the purview of Rule 34.
Does My Gamer Child Know About Rule 34?
After reading about Rule 34, perhaps for the first time, you may wonder whether your child is aware of the rule.
While this may be an uncomfortable conversation with your gamer, you should definitely ask them. After all, only your child can honestly answer this question.
By reading this article and researching Rule 34, you are expanding your understanding of the internet and the risks of gaming online.
Being aware of these risks is important for supporting your child as a gamer. While it is never a good idea to shield children from the world completely, being aware helps you have meaningful conversations with your child.
Knowing about topics like cyberbullying, toxic language and porn is important to having a healthy understanding of the internet.
If your child is aware of Rule 34, and it is not shrouded in mystery, you may find that they will be less likely to engage with it.
If your child is interested in playing eSports, you should be aware of that environment and the potential risks for your child.
Fortunately, you can do plenty of things to help prepare your child to be a safe online gamer.
- First, be involved in their gaming. Talk to your child about gaming, watch them play, and discuss what responsible gaming looks like.
- As a parent actively researching this topic, you’ll be happy to know that research is another crucial aspect of helping establish safe gaming habits for your child.
- Prepare by implementing guidelines for your child around their gaming. This may include where they game, for how long they play, and even what types of games they play. You can also enable parental controls on your child’s gaming devices.
- Actively monitoring your child’s gaming and how they behave online will also help protect them. Be sure you do not spy on your child or make them feel like they are being “watched.” This won’t end well for anyone.
- Last, empower your child with the tools they need to respond to gaming situations that feel unsafe or unhealthy. When your child has a response at the ready, they’ll confidently do what they need to in order to be safe.
How Do I Talk to My Gamer about Rule 34?
While we know this is an uncomfortable prospect, the very fact that you are asking about it means that you are open to having a dialogue about this uncomfortable topic.
If you’ve decided that you are ready to take this on, there are several things you can do to help to make sure the conversation goes well.
- First, even though this is about an uncomfortable topic, take the conversation seriously. Try not to brush it off.
- Next, plan for the conversation by thinking about what talking points you want to address.
- Finally, and most importantly, have the conversation with your child.
The best part is that when you open up the conversation to these sometimes uncomfortable topics, you create a foundation for talking about these critical issues with your child for the rest of their life.
In addition, by discussing these important topics early, you can help prepare your child for the uncomfortable or even scary moment they come across it on their own.
So, Rule 34 Isn’t Just About Fortnite, Right?
As we mentioned, Rule 34 is an idea that applies to a broad range of topics. It is most certainly not unique to Fortnite or even gaming in general.
If you look for it, there will be Valorant Rule 34, Overwatch Rule 34, and even League of Legends Rule 34.
There’s an online gaming Rule 34 for any video game you can imagine. There are even versions for beloved cartoon characters!
We’re glad you have found this article and hope it helps you better understand Fortnite Rule 34 and its role in eSports.
Having these conversations early with your gamer will allow you to have uncomfortable conversations about many important topics.
Addressing difficult issues is never easy, but it is always worth it.
Please leave questions or feedback in the comments section below to support other parents as they discuss this important topic with their gamers.